World creation by Sasaki Kyoshitsu

Sasaki during our last firing at Shoraku


About two weeks ago, I asked Sasaki-sensei to make two tea bowls. The first one had to be made for his personal use, the second for his family. None of them should be made to be sold.

What did he understood of my words ? I have no idea. Nevertheless, he started to make four bowls… Later, he would explain that it was a way to make sure that at least two would survive…but each bowl he made was different. One of these tea bowls will be my « ceramic » conclusion to this internship.

Master’s style

Sasaki-sensei il a smiling and sweet man, convivial and fond of bright colors. He loves shiny green glazes, chalk white shoes and the Japanese tapas bars where saké is overflowing. 
A black or a red raku tea bowl is not exactly the perfect expression of his character. One can feel it in Sasaki’s works. His creations alternate between classic dark/red and colorful essays.




Sasaki's tea bowls

Before our last firing, I thought that the tea bowl that represented him best was the one he called « Milky way ». It is a black raku tea bowl, wide and low — made for summer. Its classic shape is crossed by a narrow track of colors and gold dust. I thought at the time that, behind the cosmic black, Sasaki-sensei was trying to find his own way, his own voice. For, maybe, this gold dust was a way to declare himself a lover of light in a world of black tea bowls.

Master’s happiness

And then came this tea bowl.

Under a generous flow of lava, on a boiling earth comes the first diluted rays of life and sky.  It is a joyous world birth cacophony, a volcanic concerto with a soft texture. To this, Sasaki-sensei added his gold trail, the trail of his smile, that which the sun pours everyday on his workshop. I must admit that, for the very first time, beyond his genius and his skills, I could witness my master’s joy in his work.

As I was looking at the tea bowl that came out of the kiln, I said « It’s marvelous ». Sasaki said : « Yes, it is a present for you. » I said « no, that is really not possible. » He insisted.


Master apprentice

This tea bowls is beyond any value. Not only monetary value but also emotional. As Sasaki-sensei offered this tea bowl to me, I hope that he can make others like this one or even more beautiful. He is offering me his creation but also the proof of his maturation. There is no age to become better.
Did I also grow up during this trip ? I have no idea. This tea bowl compels me to. Today, I do not feel wise enough to use it myself. I will have to grow by this tea bowl’s side.



After the very last firing, Sasaki-sensei and I made a tea ceremony together. He served me in this tea bowl. The gold trail was playing with the light as usual : by overcoming all expectations. Tea was steamy hot. The fire was probably still in the clay.


Comments

  1. Hello Nessim, we are in Kyoto and would like it very much to meet Mr. Sasaki Kyoshitsu. We have seen his bowls in Tokyo a view days ago. I have been in contact with him through FaceBook. I was wondering if you can give me more information about how to get to his home and workshop in the mountain of Kyoto.
    Further I tried to find out about the daily workshop and what the prize would be.
    Thank you kindly for a quick response. We are leaving again from Kyoto on the 28th of October 2018. Best regards, Martina Dielen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you like it share it !

Popular posts from this blog

Chakaiki — A new invitation to wanderings

Japanese Scent